Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Embrace change 2010.

About a year ago, I went to a coworker's birthday party. We danced and danced and drank and drank. The next morning I woke up with shooting, stabbing pains throughout my right leg. Two weeks later,my manager explained it was apparent that I couldn't perform at my job, and the next day I found out my leg was broken and my knee was sprained.

I'd been walking on a broken leg and sprained knee for two weeks at at a job I disliked because they had been reluctant to let me take an afternoon to see the doctor. Jobless and unable to exercise, I sat on a couch for a month and a half. My boyfriend broke up with me soon afterwards, leaving me single and jobless. My response was to drink a HUGE glass of red wine, followed by drinking 3 strong margaritas at karaoke that night.

In those moments, life seems hopeless. It's easy to revert to victim-mode, crying out the WhyMe's and the PoorMe's to anyone and everyone who will listen.

But if you take a deep breath, you'll realize what I already knew and always tell my friends: Everything happens for a reason. Nothing is permanent. And in order for you to be successful in life, you MUST be constantly growing, adapting, and changing. And rather than reacting to things, you can choose how you will respond and handle difficult situations.

Sure things are still difficult and I'm not exactly where I want to be, but my life is exponentially better than it was a year ago. I am no longer in a toxic job or relationship, and I have a fabulous phone list of friends who I love and cherish and have grown closer to as a result of last year's events.

A lovely yogini friend of mine posted this message from Wayne Dyer on Facebook this morning, and now I shall share it with you. Whether you believe in God or not, just trusting that everything's happening the way it's supposed to makes all the difference. So when a monumental event or change comes your way, relax, smile, and enjoy the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment