Friday, February 12, 2010

Those darn resolutions...

(yes I took that picture. If you live in the South Bay, go hiking in Rancho Palos Verdes on the Portuguese Bend, you won't regret it...)

New Year's Resolutions...okay yes I know it's already February but still, I'm curious as to what people wrote down. I told everyone I made "general intentions," buuuuttt I lied. See, I have a hard time writing down my goals and sticking to them, even though I'm great at helping friends and family do this important act.

I usually can't decide what it is that I want. There are so many things I want to do, so many opportunities, how could I possibly choose? What's right for me, what's attainable and realistic? Or should I dare to dream the impossible?

Wikipedia defines the New Year's resolution as "a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous." The site also notes recent research around resolutions and goals: Though 52% of the participants in studies were confident they would be successful, only 12% actually achieved their goals. UNREAL!

With that knowledge, most people believe it's futile to create resolutions in the first place. Why try if you're just going to fail?

I believe this year will be different. Studies show that if you write down small, measurable, and attainable goals, you have a MUCH better chance for success. It also helps to gain support from friends and family, as this will hold you accountable and keep pushing you forward. So this weekend I will sit with myself and write everything down, as clear and specific as possible. I'll keep you posted :-)

In the meantime, I'm dying to know, what were/are your New Year's resolutions??? Any big, hair, or even tiny goals you've set for yourself? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment