Sunday, April 19, 2009

Facial time!

After a long day of cleaning and exercising (2 walks and lifting at the gym!), I relaxed on the couch for a couple hours with my roommate, then headed to my room to read before bedtime.  My skin was feeling a bit greasy and yet dead at the same time, so I ran to the bathroom and put a layer of honey on my face.  

Honey? Are you thinking I'm absolutely nuts?  Perhaps.  Just hear me out.

First of all, let's look at the properties of honey  Did you know it's antibacterial AND antimicrobrial?  And what causes blemishes?  Bacteria and dirt clogging pores.  Great.  Plus it's chock full of antioxidants, helping prevent UV and free radical damage from the sun and pollution, and is anti-inflammatory.   

Second, it tastes so freakin delicious, you can lick it right off.  I'm about to go to bed, so I probably won't.

I wouldn't slather it on by itself like I did.  It started to itch my face and drip down towards my chin like drops of sticky rain.  So for a facial mask, mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 tablespoons of milk or rice milk.  Spread the mixture over your face and throat, leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.  

You can also make masks blending avocado and honey, chocolate and honey, olive oil and honey...see what your skin likes! Go crazy! 

Honey also keeps your skin smooth and soft.  Even Cleopatra used it with milk in her baths.  It's a great moisturizer!  Try adding 2 tablespoons of honey to 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice for your own special dry skin remedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment